Oahu to Hilo: Volcano Adventure & Helicopter
Are you short on time but still want to check out all that the Big Island has to offer?
Leave the logistics to the professionals and embark on an exciting day trip from Oahu to Hilo for the Big Island Helicopter & Volcano Adventure Tour! This day trip from Oahu includes roundtrip airfare, a 45-minute helicopter tour of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, and a guided scenic ground tour of the Big Island's best sites.
The Scenic Land Tour
You’ll be booked on an early morning, inter-island flight from Oahu to Hilo. Upon arrival, you'll be greeted by your guide who will transport you to all the Big Island hotspots, starting with the island's most popular attraction, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: Spend the morning exploring the remnants of eruptions past and present. Hawaiian Volcanoes N.P. is home to both Kilauea and Mauna Loa volcanoes.
- Halema’uma’u Crater Overlook - This overlook offers dramatic views of the crater, located within Kilauea’s main caldera, and the results of the massive collapse that occurred during a recent eruption.
- Kilauea Visitors Center - The Visitor Center houses a small bookstore and an exhibit area that provides visitors with information about volcanoes and the natural flora and fauna found on Hawaii island. Interpretive rangers are also available to answer any questions you may have and to stamp your national parks passport.
- Steam vents - Watch the vapor escaping through the cracked surface as the groundwater is heated by molten magma deep underground.
- Iki Crater Overlook- A smaller pit crater located next to Kilauea’s main caldera that has become a solidified lava lake.
- Nahuku Lava Tube - You’ll be given the opportunity to walk through Nahuku, a massive lava cave left behind by a river of molten lava more than 500 years ago.
- Chain of Craters Road - Your guide/drive will take you down this winding scenic road that travels along the coastal portion of Hawaii Volcanoes N.P.
- Kealakomo Overlook - Enjoy panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and the jagged remnants of lava that has flowed into it.
Additional tour stops outside the park include:
- Akaka Falls - A short hike through a lush rainforest will take you to the viewing platform for the thundering 442-foot Akaka Falls. The route to the waterfall is short (.5-mile loop) and fairly easy - it’s paved and well-marked, though there are some stairs along the way.
- Hilo Town - The tour winds down with a drive through Hilo’s historic district and along its famous Banyan Drive, past the statue of King Kamehameha the Great, and around the beautifully landscaped Lili’uokalani Gardens, the largest Japanese garden outside of Japan. If time permits, your guide may stop at a local business to give you the opportunity to purchase some locally made souvenirs.
(Note: Order of stops may change due to traffic, weather, or other circumstances.)
The Helicopter Tour
Now that you've seen the best of the Big Island from the ground, it is time to see that stunning volcanic landscape from the air! You'll be dropped off at the Hilo airport after the land tour and embark a whole new adventure. You'll board a luxurious helicopter for a 45-minute fully narrated tour above Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
You will be flown over Halema’uma’u Crater at Kilauea’s summit and the nearby Iki Crater. Weather permitting, you’ll also be flown over the base of Mauna Loa, the world’s largest active volcano. You’ll get to view this massive volcano from above and be shown the remnants of its latest eruption in 2022. You’ll also enjoy a bird’s eye view of Hilo and the rugged terrain, lush rainforests, waterfalls, and black sand beaches that the Puna district is known for.
Volcanic activity is constantly changing so it takes a lot of experience and just a little luck to find the most active spots each day. Fortunately, the helicopter pilot-guides are experts and will do their best to give you the most memorable experience possible.
You'll return to the Hilo airport after your helicopter tour. You'll be back in Honolulu by 9 pm, full of unforgettable memories.
Know Before You Go
- Transportation to/from the Honolulu airport is not included.
- Guests 240 pounds and over will be subject to a comfort seat surcharge. An agent will reach out with details after booking.
- Inter-island flights are subject to the same laws and regulations of all commercial air transportation. You must present valid, government-issued photo ID for your flights (passport or local ID)
- All other TSA regulations apply, including the liquids ban.
- Moderate walking on uneven surfaces required.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and clothing, bring along a light jacket.
- Routes and stops may be modified based on weather, traffic, and National or State Park advisories.
- The presence of lava cannot be predicted or guaranteed.