Twilight Volcano Unveiled (from Kona)
Explore Hawaiis incredible volcanic scenery on an all-day adventure and get exclusive access into a private lava tube!
100% Refund Policy
Full Refunds are given if you cancel up to 17:00 local time, 3 business days prior to the activity.
Any cancellations made after 17:00 local time, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.
Volcanic activity occasionally causes closures and detours that affect tour routes and sites. As a result, itineraries and stops are subject to change without notice at any time due to the continued volcanic activity as our guests’ safety is our top priority.
This tour is not recommended for women who are pregnant or may be pregnant. Guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances of 2 to 3 miles on uneven terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much hiking do we do?
We’ll hike for 2-3 miles at a location determined by park conditions that day.
Will we get to see active lava?
An eruption began the evening of December 20th 2020. While this is a very dynamic situation that is subject to change at any moment, the lava lake has crusted over and eruptiove avitivity ceased as of May 27th, 2021 Please contact our office staff for the most current volcano conditions, or visit the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory's Eruption Update page.
Take an in-depth volcano experience on the Island of Hawaii offered by Hawaii Forest & Trail. After a convenient pickup from select hotels, enjoy a scenic drive on Saddle Road, take a picturesque hike in Volcanoes National Park, and feast on a delicious complimentary lunch. Your National Park Certified Guide will share a mix of natural and cultural history about the island’s formation, illuminating the stories behind the ever-changing landscape of our island home.
- Stay after dark to see the eruption deep inside Halemaumau Crater; catch glimpses of lava and see the nights sky light up with Peles orange and red glow
- Explore the off-the-beaten path sites of Volcanoes National Park
- Exclusive access to one of Hawaii's largest lava tubes known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats
- Enjoy 2-3 miles of hiking at Volcano National Park
- Picnic Lunch & Dinner (10-12 hours Tour)
- Hotel pick ups in Kona and Waikoloa
- National Park fees (Included)
- National Park Certified Guide
No upgrades available
Snacks, beverages, Deli style lunch prepared by Christine's Deli, Dinner, National Park entrance fees. Bring your own reusable water bottle and extra layer of clothes (it gets cold for Hawaii!). Gear Provided: Walking sticks, flashlights, and rain ponchos.
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Lava activity is unpredictable & never guaranteed.
Join your National Park Certified Guide on a 2-3 mile easy to moderate hike around the park’s most iconic sights and dynamic terrain.The tour guides are expert natural interpreters and will teach you many interesting things about the volcanoes and how lava fields get colonized by local plants.
Drive off-road to a private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on an accenting the cave walls.
Lava tubes can become other worldly places. The cave you will visit has an expansive room and an upside down forest of roots hanging from the cave ceiling.
At the end of the tour, guests will have an opportunity to stay in the park after sunset to view the eruption’s glow (weather and lava permitting). Your guide will take you to the best location to see the lava and provide flashlights and walking sticks for your safety and comfort.
Know before you book:
- Rated: Easy to Moderate
- The minimum age is 8 years old.
- Guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances of 2 to 3 miles on uneven terrain.
- Bring your own reusable water bottle.
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Long pants
- Sweatshirt / light jacket
- Trip departs from Kona with pickups in Waikoloa